.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Turning Final

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sun 'n Fun Splash-In 2009

As many of you know, I attended the Sun 'n Fun Fly-In this year in Lakeland, Florida. The event is held at Lakeland Linder Regional Airport (KLAL) in April every year and lasts six days. In the past, I have only gone for one day. This year, I decided to go for the entire week. I also decided to volunteer for the first time.

It was amazing.

I don't want to go much into the details of the week on this post, but there was one event that I really wanted to attend, the Splash-In. This year, like last year, the Splash-In was held on Lake Agnus at Fantasy Of Flight. This is the second year that the event was held here.

Here's the kicker: since this was my fist time at the Splash-In, I really wanted to, you know, splash in. So I aksed my volunteer chairman, and he made a call, and the next thing I knew I was scheduled for a flight in a seaplane first thing in the morning the day of the event.

Yeah baby!

My pilot, Bob Stebbins, took me for a short flight in his Lake LA4. I streamed the first half of the flight live on the internet using my cellular phone. You can see that video here: http://www.qik.com/video/1529677

Also, Jo Hunter from FuturShox just happened to be onsite at the time shooting airplanes with some of her high-end camera equipment. Check out these awesome photos of my flybys:









If you look real close, you can see me in the right seat wearing my white Airspeed baseball cap. You can find more of Jo's work at http://www.futurshox.net/.

If you ever get a chance to fly in a seaplane, GO FOR IT! This was an experience I will never forget. Now I really want an amphib...

1 Comments:

  • I’m so Jealous
    The Lake aircraft (Buccaneer, Renegade, Sea furry) have been some of my favorite aircraft for years. I hope to own one some day,

    Mike

    By Blogger Mike_Flys, at 2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home